Every year it happens. In the middle of September, I fall in love. It seems like a surprise each and every time, no matter how many years it's happened. The weather starts to take on a slight chill. If you look closely, leaves are beginning to turn from green to yellow, brown, orange, red. Autumn is arriving and, like annual clockwork, I fall in love with it all over again.
Autumn is -- and always has been -- my favorite time of the year. I'm not sure if it's because it's the first season I experienced or if there is another reason, but I feel most like myself in autumn. The warmth of the summer is still lingering, but the crispness in the air feels cleansing. The season itself is somehow refreshing and making the most of it is something I strive to do every year. It can be hard to take advantage of the season, which is why I've decided to make a list of tips for making the most of it.
1. Decorate your home or room for the season. Nothing puts you in the mood for a season -- or for anything, really -- like decorating your home or room (or office!) for it. Break out some autumn-colored accessories, pick out some pumpkins, and make your living space festive!
2. Eat some and drink fall favorites. Cocoa. Cider. Pumpkin-spiced lattes. Pumpkin pie. Apples. Candy corn. There are so many delicious treats flavored with fall. One of the best ways to enjoy the season is to literally take a bite out of it. Dig into some autumn favorites to embrace the season!
3. Enjoy the crisp, fresh outdoor air. Don't let the chill in the air discourage you from heading outdoors. Autumn where I live is one of the best seasons -- not too hot, not yet freezing -- and I know that getting outdoors and enjoying the fresh air is one of the best ways to get the most out of the fall months.
4. Break out the cool-weather clothes. Admittedly, my favorite part of the fall season is the clothes. The boots! The jackets! The sweaters! Early fall is the brief period of time when I'm not sick of donning a jacket and boots and I plan to enjoy slipping into some new fall favorites this year.
5. Take part in a fall activity. Pumpkin carving, apple picking, stepping on crunchy leaves -- there are so many great activities that go hand-in-hand with the fall season. Depending on where you live, they might not all be realistic options, but almost everyone has the opportunity to step on a really crunchy leaf. Do it!
6. Spend a chilly afternoon outside with a book + a blanket. I actually did this yesterday (despite my boyfriend's comment that I wouldn't last too long in the chill air!) and it was lovely. A chai tea latte, The Night Circus, and Bella on the balcony made for a perfect fall afternoon.
7. Buy school supplies (even if you're not in school). I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a bit of a school-supply junkie. The amount of markers, notebooks, and pens I own is a bit absurd. That being said, nothing says fall like buying school supplies. Even if it's just a pen, pick up something fun!
8. Be present to the changes around you. Autumn is one of the best seasons for being present. So much is changing -- leaves, the air, the clothing people all around you are wearing -- and it's so important to stay in the moment through it all. Pay attention to -- and enjoy -- all of the autumnal changes around you.
9. Snuggle up to someone you love. Autumn is one of the best times for snuggling. Nothing says cozy like wool socks, sweaters, and a crackling fire. It's a perfect recipe for snuggling. Make the most of the season by staying warm with someone you love.
10. Get yourself excited about the winter holidays. Winter holidays might still be months away, but it doesn't mean you can't look forward to them (especially with all of the stores getting ready for them already!). Start thinking ahead to the holidays and think of ways to avoid holiday stress.
Everyone might not share my annual affection for autumn, but no matter what the season, it's important to enjoy the moment. Whether it's fall or spring or winter or summer where you are, remember to take time to enjoy the season your part of the world currently celebrating. Seasons come and go -- they all come back around again -- but each and every one is worth paying attention to. Enjoy them while they last!
What are YOUR favorite ways to celebrate fall?
original blog can be found here